jueves, 23 de mayo de 2013

10 Reasons to become a Teacher



As the end of the academic year approaches, I start thinking (one more year!) about the reasons why I am a teacher.

After mulling over for a long period of time and bearing in mind that I’m reluctant to use humour in the classroom, these are my conclusions. They are obviously rated in order of importance. Then it is up to you to trust them or not. ;-)

10. Good salary!
9. Know all the answers in the tests.
8. Teaching is learning. That’s why I learn from you every single day.
7. Practise pedagogy and creativity without fear of arrest.
6. Free apples! (… and carrot cakes, biscuits, chocolate, candies, “obleas and barquillos”, juice, coffee, …)
5. Almost massive funding for classroom supplies in times of crisis. 



4. Accept diversity, advice and others’ opinions.
3. Feel that I am a part of an extraordinary team.
2. Spend leisurely summer in intensive therapy trying to recover my strength for the next course.
1. Might have to work for a living otherwise.


Haaaahh! What do you think? Are they good reasons for you to become teachers in the future? What are your reasons for doing your jobs? Write them down if you feel like it.


“The sense of humour is the oil of life’s engine. Without it, the machinery creaks and groans. Not lot is so hard, no aspect of things is so grim, but it relaxes before a hearty laugh.”
G.S. Merriam

6 comentarios:

  1. You forget of others gifts....
    In my case doing my job because I need it for to live. (Money, money, money). In my case not is vocational. I would have liked to have another job but I am happy because at least I have a good job, that in this time it is to much, and thanks my job I met others persons and I learnt more things and now I am more complete as person.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Victor, I haven't forgotten any of the presents that I have been given this year. You already know that I'm not a forgetful nor an ungrateful person. The thing is that there will be more entries thanking you for your presents. I know I owe you one because of your book. Incidentally, I'd extremely like to read your first book, ;-)) and you must bear in mind that my salary has been decreased. So, please don't worry because with your presents you all made up my days. Thank you very much to all of you.

      Eliminar
  2. In mi point of view, your job is a part very important in your life, so you have to try to do it funny for you and for the rest. I haven´t found my ideal job yet, however I´m sure that it have to make me feel happy and it may help people, like a teacher. In your classification, you forgot to write "help people", because altough you did´t realize, oue teachers are a part of our life.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thanks a lot for your kind words. Incredibly, I enjoy myself teaching and I'm sure I'll miss it this summer when for the first time in many years, I won't teach, otherwise I wouldn't be myself. Obviously, I like helping people not only to learn English and its linguistic and cultural aspects but also to "change" your point of view in many different aspects of life. As I said on the entry, I learn from you every day and I also like that. It makes me a more open-minded person. Thanks to all of you.

      Eliminar
  3. Sophie I encourage you to teach as you have done this year.You enliven us to study,write on the blog,speak in class,so we can improve our english.Moreover,the time goes by quickly in your classes.
    Anyway,I´m going to speak you something about my job.
    As you know I work as a housekeeper.In spite of seeming an awful job,it´s very interesting and thrilling.
    Every morning i have to distribute the different tasks to chambermaids.They have to clean up the rooms,corridors,wash clothes in our laundry....Furthermore,I have to revise their job, have the different stores up to date and numerous other tasks.
    Although,it´s a hard job,it´s a rewarding one.Everyday we do that our guests are enjoying their stay and it makes us feel very satisfied.Sometimes they tell us how grateful they are.
    On the other hand,it has some disadvantages like have to work most of weekens,work lots of hours everyday.
    But I like treating our customers,listening to them,speaking to them
    I´m a lucky perosn because I like my job.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thanks a lot for your kind words. I try to do my best and definitely, time goes by really quickly in our classes but it's not only because of me but also because of you, who make it more interesting with your comments and ideas.

      It's obvious that you like your job, you have told us before and I'm looking forward to visiting your workplace at the end of this course and tasting the flavour of the good cuisine there and who knows if the cleanliness of the rooms, as well. ;-)

      Eliminar